4th Annual Wildlife Festival and Plant Sale
San Antonio, TX, – The annual FREE Fall Wildlife Festival and Plant Sale takes place on Saturday, October 25, 2008 from 9 am to 4 pm at the Mitchell Lake Audubon Center in San Antonio, Texas.
“This year we hope everyone will come out to enjoy the refuge and learn more about our natural world, said Susan Albert, Center Director. Our wonderful community sponsors have helped to underwrite this event and allowed us to grow and offer more activities and programs.”
Susan Ghertner, Environmental Affairs Manager for H-E-B, and Monarch sponsor said “H-E-B is pleased to support this South San Antonio treasure that helps educate our future environmental stewards and gives our community an opportunity to connect with nature.”
The event includes a plant sale featuring drought-tolerant and wildlife-friendly plants, including those used in the Center’s wildscape garden for butterflies and hummingbirds. The San Antonio Water System (SAWS) will hold its Autumn Bloom Giveaway, at which the first 800 people receive a complimentary, small water-saver plant.
This year, all activities and exhibits will be free to the public, including:
• Guided plant and butterfly walks plus an “Animal Safari” presented by Texas Parks & Wildlife
• Plant and wildlife-oriented lectures focusing on Water Saver Gardening
• A raptor show featuring Last Chance Forever
• Kids Corner featuring birdhouse building with Home Depot (10am-1pm), and kids activities.
• A plant sale featuring native and drought tolerant plants.
• Relaxing hand & back massages from the Aveda Institute San Antonio
• E-recycling for your old electronics
• Snake and reptile exhibit
• Live radio broadcast from KLUP
• Over a dozen educational and activity booths focused on nature and our community
• Vendors featuring products for gardening and birding.
A raffle benefits education and conservation programs and features prizes including two garden landscaping projects worth $3,000 and $2,000, custom bird bath, binoculars, Spurs tickets and a gift card from Bass Pro Shops. Tickets are $2 each.
As of this date, our event is made possible through generous sponsorship from:
Monarch Level: H-E-B; Hummingbird Level: Tesoro; Live Oak Level: Frost Bank, The Southside Reporter, Pecan Level: AT&T, The Boeing Company-San Antonio, Bromley Communications, CPS Energy, Green Haven Industries, The Priority Group; Salado Creek Foundation, Bluebonnet Level: The Trust Company, Lantana Level: Susan & Warren Albert.
For more information, contact MLAC: 210/628-1639, [email protected], or mitchelllakeaudubon.org.
Rain date is October 25, 2008.
Mitchell Lake, designated as a wildlife refuge by the city of San Antonio in 1973, is a 1200-acre natural area consisting of a 600-acre lake and 625 acres of wetlands, ponds and uplands Programming at the Audubon Center is specifically designed to focus on educating families, with an emphasis on outdoor science and citizenship.