Congressman Gonzalez: ‘Quality Affordable Health Care’
America’s Affordable Health Choices Act
The time for health care reform is now. For too long, we have allowed a system to deny coverage when people need it most. For too long, we have supported a system that provides different access and quality of care to folks not based on a necessity of medical care but rather on unreasonable health insurance provisions or unsustainable cost escalation for medical services.
The average American family already pays an extra $1,100/year in premiums to support a broken system with 46 million uninsured. We need a uniquely American solution to build on what works and fix what’s broken. We need a solution that lowers costs for consumers and one that offers greater choice of health care options.
The America’s Affordable Health Choice Act passed the Energy and Commerce Committee on July 31st and will now move on to the full House. While the details of the plan are still changing and being finalized in Congress, we have made great strides towards improving our nation’s health care options.
Here’s what the bill, America’s Affordable Health Choices Act, means for you:
- No more co-pays or deductibles for preventive care
- No more rate increases for pre-existing conditions, gender, or occupation
- An annual cap on your out-of-pocket expenses
- Group rates of a national pool if you buy your own plan
- Guaranteed, affordable oral, hearing, and vision care for your kids
- Keep your doctor, and your current plan, if you like them
- More choice, with a high quality public health insurance option competing with private insurers
- You and your doctors make health care decisions — not insurance companies
- More family doctors and nurses will enter the workforce, helping guarantee access
- Mental health care must be covered
STABILITY & PEACE OF MIND
- No more coverage denials for pre-existing conditions
- No more lifetime limits on how much insurance companies will pay
- No reason to ever make a job or life decision again based on health care coverage